I think it goes without say, that most of us love Asian food. Whether it is Chinese food, Japanese food, Korean, or Thai food… we all have a preference on what we do like. Some may enjoy the quick cooking techniques of Chinese food, or really enjoy the quality of really clean Japanese food. Maybe you like your dishes extra spicy like a lot of Thai and Korean dishes? I myself, am a huge fan of pretty much all. I also have been eating Asian food pretty much since I was able to eat solids and my passion for cooking stems from my love of the Japanese culture, as I am part Japanese.
Today I wanted to focus on a delicious dish that is both savory and sweet. My broccoli beef dish was created with a friend in mind, as she loves ordering this dish whenever we get together. This dish is simple in the fact that everything from the sauce, to the stir fry ingredients is very minimal and simple. This dish is also a great way to introduce yourself into the world of cooking Asian food, as there aren’t a lot of steps.
Recipe serves: 2 adults + 1 toddler
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
COOK TIME: 30 minutes for rice/10-15 minutes for broccoli beef
1 Top cut sirloin steak, sliced into strips and meat hammered flat
2 Cups white rice
1/4th White onion, sliced
1/2 Broccoli head [crown], chopped into bit sized pieces
1 Inch ginger, skinned & cut into four pieces
5-6 Garlic cloves, minced
Soy sauce, 1 Tbsp
Oyster sauce, 1 Tbsp
Water, 1 Tbsp
White sugar, 2 Tbsp
Corn starch, 1 tsp
Black pepper, 1/2 tsp
Sesame oil, 2 Tbsp + a drizzle
- If you are using a rice cooker, take this time to start your rice. If you are using instant rice, simply wait until the end to cook.
- In a small dish combine your soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, water, and a drizzle of sesame oil.
- In a small bowl combine your beef with salt, pepper, and corn starch. Mix until beef is evenly coated.
- In another bowl add in your broccoli, onions, garlic, and ginger. Gently toss to combine.
- Place the 2 Tbsp sesame oil into your wok and turn your heat to medium high/high. Once hot, place your steak in evenly and fry your meat until crisp and golden. Remove using a slitted spoon and place on a plate lined with a paper towel to drain.
- With the remaining oil in the wok toss in your vegetables and give a quick toss to coat. Slowly add in a little bit of your pre made sauce [1/2 Tbsp at a time] and cook until the sauce is sticky, coating the vegetables, and not pooling at the bottom. Repeat the process until 1/2 of the sauce is gone.
- Re add into the wok your beef.
- Repeat the process of adding a little sauce at a time until all of the sauce has been used up, is coating the meat and vegetables, and is not pooling at the bottom.
Easy right? Now you can make delicious homemade broccoli and beef from the comforts of your home. It tastes great, is simple to make, and one that is sure to please! I would love to connect with you, so feel free to leave a comment down below! Let me know if you tried this dish and what you thought about it.
Until next time, take care.
To make gluten free]
– Substitute soy sauce with Tamari[gluten free natural soy sauce]
– Substitute regular oyster sauce for gluten free oyster sauce