Today I wanted to share with you my absolute favorite soup! I love to make chicken tortilla soup year round, whether it is hot outside of absolutely freezing. there is no right or wrong time to eat this delicious food! With the perfect balance of flavors, this spicy soup goes down with ease making you want seconds!
Recipe serves: 6-8 adults
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 20 minutes
1/2 Chicken breast [shredded]
14.5oz Can of Hunters fire roasted diced tomatoes
1/2 Regular sized jar of Prego tomato sauce [any flavor]
1 Green bell pepper, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 Carrot, sliced into medallions
1/2 Package grape tomatoes, sliced in half
1/6th White onion, chopped into bite sized pieces
2 Chilis in adobo pepper sauce, diced
1 1/2 Cups milk
8 Cups water
Chicken base, 1 1/2 Tbsp
Vegetable oil, 1 Tbsp
Black pepper, 1 tsp
Oregano, 1/2 tsp
Mexican chili powder, 1/2 tsp
1/2 Cup cooked white rice
1 Avocado, 1/2 per serving
Tortilla chips, 1 handful per serving
- In a large pot place your vegetable oil into the bottom and turn the heat to medium high. Throw in your bell pepper, onion, oregano, black pepper, and Mexican chili powder. Cook until onions become translucent.
- Add in grape tomatoes, chilis in adobo, tomato sauce, and chicken base. Stir to combine.
- Add the eight cups of water and bring soup to a boil for 25 minutes on high heat. Stir occasionally.
- After 25 minutes add into the pot, the milk while slowly stirring to combine. Reduce the heat to medium and add in the chicken and rice. Cook for 30 minutes.
Quick note] After rice has been added, stir occasionally but stir delicately. If you stir too much, too quickly, or too harshly the rice will become mushy.
- Give the soup a taste, and add to it if you think anything is missing. [More chilis for spice, more chicken base for flavor, etc. I went light with flavors than I normally would since I now have a toddler who eats this dish.]
- After 30 minutes, turn burner off and prepare to serve. Feel free to add toppings as well such as cheese, avocado, sour cream, etc. [BE SURE to add the tortilla chips into it though! It wouldn’t be chicken tortilla soup without any tortillas after all!
I would love it if you left me a comment down below if you gave this recipe a try! Let me know what sort of toppings you added or what you did to make this soup cater to your taste buds!
Until next time, take care.
To make gluten free]
– Use gluten free chicken base or make your own broth