When you think about an Italian beef you usually think of the kind that you order from an Italian restaurant. It usually comes with a heaping load of meat, mozzarella cheese, and a side of au jus. They even sneak a few pepperonis into the side of your styrofoam container. Sound familiar? What if I told you that you could make an extremely delicious, flavorful, Italian beef from the comfort of your home that takes minimal effort, but tastes loads better? Today I am sharing with you my recipe for Italian beef.
This recipe comes from a family friend that had passed this recipe down to my mother and then to myself. My husband literally loves this dish and anyone of our friends who have tried it, loves it equally as much! It always ends up being a favorite dish at potlucks as well and you will have people begging to know where you got this recipe from! Take a look below for the recipe and be sure to try this dish out!
Recipe serves: 8-10 adults
Prep time: 6-8 hours
Cook time: 10 minutes
Boneless chuck eye roast
One Campbell’s beef broth (10.5oz)
One packet Lipton’s onion soup mix (1oz)
Oregano, 1/2 tsp
Black pepper, 1/2 tsp
Two green bell peppers, sliced into strips
One white onion, halved and sliced into strips
Butter, 2 Tbsp
Vegetable oil, 2 Tbsp
Salt, a pinch
Shredded mozzarella cheese
French bread sub rolls [1-2 packages]
- In the crock pot, place your chuck eye roast on the bottom. On top sprinkle in the oregano, black pepper, and onion soup mix. Next pour the can of beef broth over the top and around the roast. Place the lid onto the crockpot and set to cook on high for 6 to 8 hours.
- In a saute pan, cook the peppers and onions with the 2 Tbsp butter and 2 Tbsp oil. Sprinkle a little salt to help release the liquids in the vegetables. Sauté until the peppers are tender and onions are caramelized.
Half way through, flip your meat over
Fast forward 6 to 8 hours…..
- Turn your crockpot off, remove the chuck roast, and prepare to shred. The meat should be tender and falling apart, however you can use two forks to finish shredding.
- Turn your oven on to broil and prepare sandwiches for toasting.
- Slice your bread almost in half if it has not already been done. Open up your sandwich and spray each side with an even coating of Pam. Toast in the oven until golden brown. Remove from oven to assemble.
- To assemble your sandwiches do the following: on one side place your meat. On the other side your peppers and onions. Sprinkle a generous portion of mozzarella cheese on top of your meat. Place into the oven and broil until the cheese is bubbly, melted, and browning up. Remove from the oven and serve with a side of au jus.
This dish is absolutely perfect for a cold fall or winter day! It is warm, comforting, and downright delicious! This has been by far the best Italian beef recipe that I have ever tried and anyone who has ever had it has said the same. You definitely will be the star of your office’s pot luck if you ever bring this dish in! Super simple and easy to make, takes no effort overall, and is a huge hit!
Be sure to give this dish a try and be sure to come back and tell me how you liked it. Also feel free to share if you did anything to change it to make it your own! As always feel free to leave me any comments or questions down below and check out my
I am always posting my updates there for you guys to stay in the loop with what is going on, on my blog!
Until next time, take care.
To make gluten free]
– Switch from regular bread to gluten free bread.
– Switch from using onion soup mix to either using onion powder or a gluten free onion soup.
– Switch Campbells beef broth to a gluten free beef broth.