Hello, Hello there! So today I am sharing with you my recipe for Chicken Fajitas! This is definitely a favorite in our household and even though we make enough for leftovers, it is very hard to not eat the entire dish in a sitting! Delicious, tender veggies sautéed in bacon fat, chicken that has been pan fried to a golden brown, and crispy bacon… all awaiting to be encased in a toasted tortilla shell. This is one of our favorite dishes to cook and I could not wait to share this one with you! Go on ahead and take a peak down below for the recipe!
Recipe serves: 4 adults
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
2 Chicken breasts, butterflied and cut into thin bite sized strips
12 Pieces of bacon[or whole pack if close], sliced thinly and vertically
2 Green bell peppers, sliced into strips
1 White onion, halved and sliced thinly
2 Limes, sliced in half
Taco sized tortilla shells [corn or flour]
Mexican chili powder
- In a large skillet, toss all of the chopped bacon in and cook on medium high until all the bacon fat has been rendered. Remove the bacon from the pan using a slotted spoon, but keep the bacon fat in.
- In the same pan as the bacon fat place the peppers and onions evenly. Sprinkle a little salt and cook down until onions are translucent and peppers are tender.
- While your vegetables are cooking down take your chicken and sprinkle salt, black pepper, Mexican chili powder, oregano, cumin, and paprika. Use your hands to mix and coat the chicken evenly. [In terms of how much seasoning to use, it’s less than 1/8 tsp for each. [Just a few shakes of each seasoning.]
- After the peppers and onions are cooked, push them aside in the pan. Lift the pan to move the bacon fat into the empty space within the pan and toss the chicken in to fry.
- In another large skillet, heat up and cook the tortilla shells. Once cooked, place in between a towel to keep hot, or place in a tortilla warmer if you own one.
- Once chicken is cooked, add bacon back into the pan and mix the chicken, bacon, peppers, and onions together. Place on a platter dish or serve straight from the pan.
You can serve your fajitas with all sorts of toppings! There’s sour cream, pico de gallo, avocados, cilantro, limes, cheese, and so much more! No matter what you choose to add or not add [they taste great as is!] This is a dish full of richness! It also makes for an easy dish to make with an easy cleanup [One pan to cook the fajitas and one pan to cook tortillas!] Give it a try and be sure to get back to me if you attempt to cook it! I would love to hear from you and see photos of your chicken fajitas!!! Feel free to leave comments below.
Until next time, take care.