A favorite by so many, Tiramisu is a dish all on its own. Full of delicious lady finger cookies that have been soaked in either a coffee, espresso, or a coffee liqueur nestled in between layers of a sweet mascarpone cream and whip cream…and finally dusted with a layer of cocoa powder or chocolate shavings. This dish is rich, this dish is decadent, and this dish will please the palate of any one who loves coffee. While this dish is widely popular in Italian restaurants, a gluten free option is well… no where to be found.
But fear not!
By the end of this recipe my gluten free friends, you will have an amazing tiramisu that you can be proud of and feel good after eating too! Today I am sharing with you my recipe for gluten free tiramisu. Made with my homemade gluten free lady fingers, this dish is one that is made from the heart. Take a peek down below for the recipe, as well as a few tips I share to get the most out of this recipe! If you have any questions, please feel free to leave me a comment down below! I would love to hear from you and do my best to help.
Recipe serves: 9-12 adults
Prep time: 2 hours to complete – 1 hour wait time
Cook time: 15 minutes
16 oz [1lb] Mascarpone cheese
1 1/4 Cup heavy whipping cream
2/3 Cup milk
6 Egg yolks
3/4 Cup white sugar
20-24 Lady finger [Savoiardi] cookies
3/4 Tsp vanilla extract
3/4 Cup mocha coffee, brewed extremely strong
2 Tbsp chocolate syrup
1 Tbsp white sugar
Cocoa powder [To dust on top]
- Brew the coffee first, because it will have to cool. Brew any mocha flavored coffee very strong. I did [2 cups water to 6 Tbsp coffee grounds. When brewed, it resulted in about 3/4 cup coffee.]
- Once coffee is brewed, add 2 tbsp chocolate syrup and 1 tbsp sugar. Mix together and let cool to room temp.
- Next in a medium pot, add together your egg yolks and sugar until combined. Slowly whisk in milk and combine until smooth.
- Turn burner onto medium heat and stir constantly until pot comes to a slight boil. Boil for 1 minute stirring continuously.
- Once your mixture has been gently boiled and thickened up, remove from heat and bring to either slightly warm or room temp. [Stir occasionally to let off steam.] Once cooled, cover and place into fridge for 1 1/2 hours.
After one and a half hours…
- In a mixing bowl beat together the heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl mix together the mascarpone cheese, along with your egg yolk mixture until smooth and creamy.
- With each lady finger cookie, dip the top and bottom of the whole cookie into the coffee quickly. Lay them evenly and flat into the dish until the bottom of the dish is full.
- Next, add 1/3rd of the mascarpone filling on top of the cookies.
- Add 1/3rd of the whip cream and spread evenly over top.
- Repeat the layers two more time: cookies dipped, mascarpone filling, whip cream.
- Dust evenly a layer of cocoa powder on top. Cover with plastic wrap gently and let set for at least overnight.
– When dipping your cookies, be quick! They absorb quickly, so if you let them sit too long they will become mush.
– When mixing your egg yolk mixture over the stove, don’t stop stirring! Non stop stirring will result in a buttery smooth, creamy mixture and will keep your eggs from scrambling resulting in you having to do all that work over.
– The trick to getting your whip cream to form stiff peaks? Start slow and build up your mixing speed until the end.
– Like your tiramisu to be intense? Use espresso along with the coffee. Dip 1 side coffee and 1 side espresso OR dip 1 side in coffee and 1 side in a coffee liquor if you have any around the home.
– Not a fan of cocoa powder? Finely chop chocolate and sprinkle on top!
– Want a more cohesive flavor? This dish tastes better the LONGER you wait. Let chill for at least overnight, but by day 2 this dish is perfect!
While this is a dish that takes a little bit of time to put together, it definitely will not disappoint! This dish is sure to please hungry guests at any events or parties that you have coming up as well. Be sure to give this a try, and be sure to share with friends, co-workers, and family. Stay tuned for my next post, as I am always coming up with new recipes and other posts to share with you!
Until next time, take care.